debukiAvatar border
TS
debuki
nyimpen
I'll relate what Motorcycle Consumer News found when testing 30 motor oils for bikes, using both synthetic and dino-based oils.

They did several tests.....(tests were performed by Analysts, Inc. in Norcross, GA, an ISO-9002 certified facility).....first, heat stability/aging using the Moack heat test (heating a measured and weighed sample of oil to 250 degrees Cent. for one hour then reweighing the sample. As they noted..."When an unstable oil is exposed to extreme heat, the unstable end of the product is quickly burned off [vaporized]. This is usually a good test of the base stock oil to determine its quality and its stability."

Second, spectrographic analysis to determine TBN, or Total Base Number, a measure of the oil's ability to neutralize te acids created as the combustion process rages on in the top end of the engine. Typically, the higher the number, the longer the oil will hold up to the acids' attack.

Next, they measured anti-wear additives and acid neutralizers. Anit-wear agents manufacturers use centered on zinc and phosphorus. Acid neutralizers found were boron, calcium (the most common one used) and magnesium.

After the heat test, the highest finishing car oils were: Redline, which retained 97% of its weight after testing, Mobil1 15W50 @ 94.5%, Amsoil @ 94.5%, Castrol Syntec 10W30 @ 93%, Valvoline Durablend 10W30 @ 92.5%, and Valvoline Durablend 10W40 @ 88%. The pure dino-based oils finished the test below 82%.

The highest TBN numbers were from: Amsoil @ 15, Mobil1 15W50 @ 13, Royal Purple @ 11.5, Mobil1 10W30 @ 10.5, Castrol Syntec 10W30 @ 9.5---along with Valvoline Durablend 10W40, Valvoline Durablend 10W30 @ 9, and Castrol Syntec 10W40 @ 6.25.

Anti-wear additives: Mobil1 15W50 w/2800ppm, Royal Purple @ 2800ppm, Valvoline Durablend 10W40 @ 2650ppm, and the rest of the aforementioned oils centering around 2500ppm. (The two anit-wear components used by manufacturers were zinc and phosphorus......but did you know too much phosphorus in the oil can actually combine with the water in your engine to form phosphoric acid? Where does the water come from you ask? As your engine cools, it condenses the water vapor in the air in your engine, creating water. The water typically burns off---evaporates---when your engine heats up. This is one reason why very short trips are tough on your engine....it won't heat your oil up enough to evaporate the water that's condensed there.)

Acid neutralizers: Royal Purple @ 3200ppm, Mobil1 15W50 @ 3050ppm, Castrol Syntec 10W30 and 10W40 @ 2950ppm, Valvoline Durablend 10W40 @ 2200ppm and its sibling 10W30 @ 1950ppm.

They also did a viscosity breakdown test last year. In each case, the synthetics retained more of original viscosity vs. dino-based oils. (Bikes are notoriously harder on oils because of the shearing forces the transmission gears place on the oils......the long chains of the synthetics were much more able to handle the bikes as compared to the dino-based oils.)

I left out the synthetic bike-specific oils.....they finished above and around the highest of the car-specific oils and trounced the dino-based car and bike oils, which I also left out. 30 oil results is a lot of typing.

So, I'd use Amsiol, Mobil1, or Redline. If I were thinking of switching kinds of oil, I'd honestly think of switching to synthetics if I could afford to......my vehicles run Mobil1 exclusively.

About viscosity retention..........a test in 1994 by a John C. Woolum/ Ph.D., Professor of Physics, California State University, Los Angeles:
(Keep in mind this test is almost 10 years old and oils have improved over that time.....but I think it should still say a bit about oil and how they stand up to abuse.)

"The automotive oils were Castrol GTX 10W40 (petroleum based, $1.24/qt.), Castrol Syntec 10W40 (synthetic, $3.99/qt.) and Mobil 1 15W50 (synthetic, $3.48/qt.). The motorcycle oils were Spectro 4 10W40 (petroleum based, $4.99/qt.) and Honda HP4 10W40 (petroleum/synthetic blend, $5.99/qt.).

"Each of these oils was run in the same motorcycles-1984 Honda V65 Sabre-under as near to identical conditions as possible. The oils were sampled for testing at 0, 800 and 1500 miles each.

"As temperature has a strong effect on viscosity, I had to make certain it was carefully controlled for the experiments. Using a laboratory temperature control chamber, all measurements were made at 99 degrees Celsius (error factor of plus or minus 0.5 degrees), which is about 210 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the most common temperature used for oil viscosity measurements. It usually took about 15 minutes for each sample to achieve equilibrium within the chamber.

"Each oil's kinematic viscosity was compared with its own kinematic viscosity at 0 miles to establish the viscosity ratio. In addition, measurements were made of each oil's density at each state of the tests. The densities were found to change by less than one percent, which is about the limit of the accuracy of the measurements. Therefore, a ratio of the times taken for the oils to pass through the viscometer effectively gives the ratio of their actual viscosities, since the densities cancel out.

"What this all means in layman's terms then, is that the ratio established for each oil at the end of each test is a percentage of the amount of original viscosity retained at that point. For example. the Castro] GTX sample at 800 miles showed a relative viscosity of 0.722, meaning it had retained 72.2 percent of its original viscosity. Or, if you want to look at it the other way, the Castrol had lost 27.8 percent of its viscosity after 800 miles of use in the motorcycle.

"As the Mobil 1 had retained so much of its viscosity after the 1500 mile test, it was the only oil I allowed to run longer in the motorcycle. After 2500 miles, the Mobil 1 recorded a relative viscosity of 79.1 percent."

Relative Viscosity Retention (as a percentage of initial viscosity retained after normal use in the same motorcycle)
(figures represent 0 miles, 800mi, 1500mi)

Mobil 1.........100%, 86.6%, 83%

Castrol Syntec......100%, 78.1%, 74.5%

Castrol GTX........100%, 72.2%, 68%

Honda HP4........100%, 69.2%, 65.6%

Spectro 4........100%, 68%, 63.9%

Of course, cars don't place the same strains on oil that bikes do, but the findings are interesting.
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Urutan
Terbaru
Terlama
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Komunitas Pilihan