alexa-tracking

Main Content

KASKUS
https://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/000000000000000012789110/qualifications-ibt-pbt-toefl-amp-ieltsall-related-english-courses-in-indonesia-tips
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

TRY TO HELP THIS THREAD KEEP ALIVE BY GIVING 5 STARS!! THANKS DUDE!
Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

Please also refer to this previous thread

See http://www.kaskus.co.id/showthread.php?t=5021642

Credit to fellow kaskusers who have fully supported the former thread to share their experience and knowledge about TOEFL and IELTS:
1. loc
2. Ivandjaw
3. Rahan
4. Tonnyc

BE THE FUTURE EDUCATED PERSON WITH INTERNATIONAL STANDARD

TRY YOUR LUCK THROUGH SCHOLARSHIP FROM BEASISWA INDONESIA

LPDP MASTER AND DOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP

STUDY IN THE NETHERLANDS WITH ORANGE TULIP SCHOLARSHIP

INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP FOR INDONESIANS

AMINEF-FULBRIGHT SCHOLARSHIP

CHEVENING INDONESIAN SCHOLARSHIP

Quote:WARNING!! THIS THREAD IS MAINLY INTENDED EITHER FAR FROM CERTAIN INSTITUTION PROMOTION OR YOUR COMPLAINTS ABOUT SPECIFIC ENGLISH COURSES. ANY DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR, IMPOLITE POSTS, AS WELL AS NEGATIVE COMMENTS TO DISCREDIT SOME ENGLISH COURSES ARE OPEN TO BE OFFICIALLY REPORTED ONTO EF MODERATORS.

WHY?? SIMPLE!

Quote:Original Posted By Evangeline
well, I hate to ruin all the fun here but is it proper to talk shit about some institutions like this? IDTS!

English schools aren't exactly a magic school which can put jinxes so that the students can master English instantly in like, 24 hours... so wherever and whatever the institution is, you can always improve as long as you have the desire to study

Quote:Also, any questions regarding place of nearest TOEFL Prep Course in your city should be posted here!

Here we can share and discuss all things about TOEFL (Both Paper Based Test-PBT and the Internet Based Test-iBT) and IELTS and also where to take the test/preparation course in all Indonesia. If you have tips or experience, please feel free to share with others at anytimeemoticon-Shakehand2

Quote:FAQ (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT PAPER-BASED TOEFL)

1. Who Accepts TOEFL PBT Scores?

Here are some institutions which still accept the PBT format

2. What Is the TOEFL PBT Test?

The TOEFL PBT Test is a paper-based test that measures your ability of short-task listening (50 numbers), structure/grammar (40 numbers), reading comprehension (50 numbers), and also Test of Written English (TWE). TWE is a 30-minute writing test required of everyone who takes the TOEFL PBT test. You will be asked to write a short essay on one topic from your TWE test book to show your ability to: generate and organize ideas, support ideas in writing with examples or evidence, and use standard written English formats

3. What am I tested on in each section?

Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English.
Structure and Written Expression measures the ability to recognize language appropriate for standard written English.
Reading Comprehension measures the ability to understand non-technical reading material.
The TWE test measures the ability to write in English on an assigned topic.

4. Are all the questions multiple-choice?

Most of the questions are multiple-choice.

5. Do I have to take the TWE® test?

Yes. You have to take the TWE test if you are taking the TOEFL PBT. There is no additional charge for the TWE test.

6. If I am running out of time, should I guess or leave some answers blank?

*Make every effort to complete each section. Data indicate most test takers get higher scores if they finish the test.
*There is a chance that random guessing at the end of a section can seriously lower scores. The best strategy is to pace yourself so you have enough time to consider each question without guessing.

7. Where and When Can I Take the Paper-based Test?
The TOEFL Paper-based Test (PBT) is offered six times a year. However, the official Indonesia ETS TOEFL PBT Test Centers are not available. The closest PBT TOEFL Test Center from Indonesia is only Papua New Guinea.

8. What Does PBT-TOEFL Cost?
The cost of the TOEFL PBT test is US$160. For information on registration, fees, test dates, locations and test formats, select the test location first to be sure the paper-based test is the right one for you.

Am I good at English grammar for my TOEFL or not? Try this exercise first before taking the official iBT TOEFL emoticon-Big Grin

Spoiler for Let's Test our Grammar:
FAQ (FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT INTERNET-BASED TEST/ iBT TOEFL)

How Much iBT/PBT TOEFL Score Do I Need For A Bachelor or A Master? emoticon-Bingung
Quote:Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
Sorry... I'm not really good at the Reading and Writing skills emoticon-Sorry

Spoiler for TOEFL iBT vs PBT Score Comparison:

Quote:1. What's iBT TOEFL?

The TOEFL iBT™ test measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level. And it evaluates how well you combine your listening, reading, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks.

There are two formats for the TOEFL test. The format you take depends on the location of your test center. Most test takers take the Internet-based Test (iBT). Test centers that do not have Internet access offer the Paper-based Test (PBT).

2. Who Takes the TOEFL iBT Test?

* Students planning to study at a higher education institution
* English language learning program admissions and exit
* Scholarship and Certification Candidates
* English-language learners who want to track their progress
* Students and workers applying for visas

3. Who Accepts TOEFL Test Scores?

More than 7,300 colleges, agencies and other institutions in 130 countries accept TOEFL scores. Other organizations rely on TOEFL scores as well:

* Immigration departments use them to issue residential and work visas
* Medical and licensing agencies use them for professional certification purposes
* Individuals use them to measure their progress in learning English

4. Where and When Can I Take the Internet-Based Test (iBT TOEFL) In Indonesia?

(*EXTRA CAREFULLY THINK AND PLAN ABOUT YOUR UNIVERSITY REGISTRATION DEADLINE. TECHNICAL/INTERNET PROBLEMS ENDING UP WITH A RESCHEDULE WILL EXTEND YOUR SCORE AVAILABILITY)

Spoiler for Updated Schedule and Indonesia Official iBT TOEFL Test Centers:

5. What Does iBT TOEFL Cost?
For Indonesia It costs 190 USD.
Must Have Reliable Official Resources of iBT TOEFL Software. Cekiprut and have a close look emoticon-Big Grin

Beginner Level (Good for Newbie)

Spoiler for :
or
Spoiler for :

Intermediate level

Spoiler for :
or
Spoiler for :
or
Spoiler for :

Advanced / Expert Level

Spoiler for :

or
Spoiler for :

Spoiler for :

Others (Strongly Suggested)

OFFICIAL ETS TOEFL TIPS

Spoiler for :

Princeton-kracking the iBT TOEFL
Spoiler for :

Mastering Skills for iBT TOEFL

Spoiler for :

Spoiler for Free iBT TOEFL software links:

IELTS - The International English Language Testing System

Quote:Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

Not only has English become an international language; it is used by more and more people around the world as a medium of post-school study.

To help universities and colleges select students with sufficient English skills to succeed in their courses, The IELTS test was introduced in 1989 to assess “whether candidates are ready to train in the medium of English”. It is now used for this purpose around the globe.

Depending in the course of study that students plan to take, students must elect to sit either the Academic IELTS test or the General Training IELTS test. This choice must be made when applying to sit the test. The Academic IELTS test is necessary for students who plan to study at university (undergraduate or postgraduate courses), and will test the student’s ability both to understand and to use complex academic language. The General Training IELTS test is required by other institutions, such as colleges and high schools, for courses that require less complex language skills, and is also as a general test of English proficiency e.g. for immigration purposes in Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

Quote:The Test Format

There are four sub-tests, or modules, to the IELTS test: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Students must sit all four sub-tests. While all students take the same Listening and Speaking tests, they sit different Reading and Writing tests, depending on whether they have selected the Academic IELTS test or the General Training IELTS test.

On the day of the test, the four subsections will be taken in the following order:

Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips] Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

The Speaking test may even take place a day or two later at some centres.

IELTS listening test lasts for about 30 minutes. It consists of four sections, played on cassette tape, in order of increasing difficulty. Each section might be a dialogue or a monologue. The test is played once only, and the questions for each section must be answered while listening, although time is given for students to check their answers.

IELTS Reading test lasts for 60 minutes. Students are given an Academic Reading test, or a General Training Reading test. Both tests consist of three sections, and in both tests the sections are in order of increasing difficulty.

IELTS Writing test also lasts for 60 minutes. Again, students take either an Academic test, or a General Training test. Students must perform two writing tasks, which require different styles of writing. There is no choice of question topics.

IELTS Speaking test consists of a one-to-one interview with a specially trained examiner. The examiner will lead the candidate through the three parts of the test:
An introduction and interview, an individual long turn where the candidate speaks for one or two minutes on a particular topic, and a two-way discussion thematically linked to the individual long turn. This interview will last for approximately 11-14 minutes.

Quote:To register for the IELTS test, please note the following:

1. You must fill in an official application form for the IELTS test and must be submitted at the time of registration. You can also download an application form from [url]www.ielts.org[/url].
2. The application form must include two recent photographs that measures 4cm x 6cm. Smaller photographs will not be accepted.
3. Candidates must not wear glasses in the photographs they submit for IELTS registration.
4. The ID number you use must be clearly stated - KTP or Passport - and a photocopy of the ID attached.
5. For candidates outside Jakarta, Surabaya or Denpasar the original form with attachments must be sent by TIKI (local express courier) to reach the IELTS Test Centre at least one week before the test date for which you have registered.
6. Candidates must bring with them to the test the original of the ID quoted on the application form - please note that photocopies are not acceptable. Candidates who show ID different from that stated on their application form will not be allowed to take the test on that day.
7. The IELTS Test Center cashier cannot accept payment from candidates who do not submit an application form. The form must be submitted at the time of payment.
8. IELTS test results can be obtained from the IELTS Test Center around 13 days after the test date.

IELTS Test Fee in Indonesia

IELTS Australia has increased the IELTS test fee in Indonesia from $180 USD to $195 USD effective 1 September 2010 for all tests after that date

Spoiler for IELTS Available Test Dates Schedule 2016:
Courtesy of Pinked Books:

Below are the information of some of reliable TOEFL courses all over Indonesia.
For those who have some other information, please do not hesitate to add any info. I will update it in the first post!
Hope this helps! emoticon-Smilie

Quote:EF (English First)
Where: Almost in every major cities in Indonesia.
See http://www.englishfirst.co.id/englis...s/default.aspx for the full list complete with addresses in each city.

Link to TOEFL/TOEIC/IELTS course preparation: http://www.englishfirst.co.id/englis...lts/ielts.aspx

Quote:Kaplan-Direct English
Where: Jakarta and Surabaya.
See http://www.kaptest.com/Customer_Serv...indonesia.html for the full list and complete addresses.

Link to TOEFL Prep Course: http://www.kaptest.com/KEP_Domestic/...repcourse.html

Quote:IALF
Where: Jakarta, Bali, and Surabaya.
See http://www.ialf.edu/locations.html for the full list and complete addresses.

Link to TOEFL/IELTS Prep Course: http://www.ialf.edu/learningenglish.html

Quote:VIP (Vista International Programs)
Where: Surabaya, Jakarta, Bandung, and Bali.
See http://www.vistaeducation.com for the full list and complete addresses.

Link to TOEFL/IELTS Prep Course: http://www.vistaeducation.com

Quote:LIA (Lembaga Indonesia Amerika)
Where: Almost in every major cities in Indonesia
See http://www.lia.ac.id/index.php?optio...d=36&Itemid=55 for the full list complete with addresses in each city.

Link to TOEFL Prep Course: http://www.lia.ac.id/index.php?optio...d=44&Itemid=44

Quote:Alfalink
Where: Surabaya, Malang, Semarang, and Makassar
See http://www.alfalink.net/ for the full list complete with addresses in each city.

Link to TOEFL Prep Course: http://www.alfalink.net/alfalink/english_course

Quote:ILP (International Language Program)
Where: In most of Indonesia's major cities.
See http://www.ilpworld.com/locations.html for the full list complete with addresses in each city.

There is no detailed explanation about its TOEFL Prep Program but the website surely mentioned about the existence of TOEFL Prep Program. If you want to read the brief description go to http://www.ilpworld.com/ and click Program on the left navigation bar.

Quote:TBI (The British Institute)
Where: Bogor, Jakarta, Surabaya, Medan, Bandung, Malang, Bekasi, Semarang.
For complete addresses go to: http://www.tbi.co.id/index.php and click the 'Locations' tab.

Link to TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge ESOL exams prep Course: http://www.tbi.co.id/course.php?id_course=14
TOEFL or IELTS? Which Exam Should You Take?

Spoiler for TOEFL vs IELTS:

Spoiler for The Best TOEFL Instructor With A Great Free TOEFL Lesson:

WHAT DO KASKUSERS SPEAK ABOUT THEIR IELTS EXPERIENCE?

Quote:Original Posted By loc
whatever english test you take, the speaking and the writing tests are always subjective. that's why for the IELTS (dunno about TOEFL):
  • they have strict requirements that you have to qualify for before acceptance into the examiner training;
  • they train and retrain the examiners vigorously and regularly;
  • they won't hesitate to fail you in the training if you don't follow the band descriptor/marking scheme religiously (out of 12 people in my batch, 5 failed and never made it as examiners; they were native speakers, mind you);
  • the band descriptors (examiner's version) are comprehensively detailed;
  • the IELTS speaking module is usually and randomly recorded and the recording is then sent to cambridgeesol for band verification; no examiner can avoid this. the writing module papers are always sent to cambridge.

yes, the human factor will always be present in subjective exams, but it can be minimized by following the procedure to the letter. besides, if you're an examiner, you're likely to want to keep your job: the money's good! emoticon-Cendol (S) so you don't really want to fool around there emoticon-Big Grin

Quote:Original Posted By rahan

WHY IELTS IS DIFFICULT: UNCOVER IELTS READING TRAP & SOLUTION

Some people don't really understand how exciting it is to sit an IELTS test. It's fun because the question is designed to make us fail. How so? We'll see later. And just to share in this lovely forum and thread, I would like to post one of my teaching material. The test question is from IELTS FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSE, I only provide the thinking process exactly needed to deal with such task.

[url=http://www.4*shared.com/document/O36Eektw/VANISHED_QUESTION.html]The Question[/url]

So what's the deal? First, you need to download the question and try to answer it in 20 minutes. Then, you can see whether you do well or not so well. Please read carefully, the explanation, and notice the TRAP! emoticon-Takut

[url=http://www.4*shared.com/document/s8SXL2NE/VANISHED.html]TRAP & THINKING PROCESS[/url]

You have one more task at your hand. Please share here which trap successfully direct you into wrong answer, and which trap you managed to handle. That way, we all can learn which trap is more difficult and why.

I'll be waiting for your response, ladies and gentlemen. emoticon-Shakehand2

WHAT DO KASKUSERS SPEAK ABOUT THEIR TOEFL EXPERIENCE?

Quote:Original Posted By 9Dayz
well, i've been scoring PBT-TOEFL with 6xx scores, and i can't find it enough..... since the certificates also expires, i need to take the IBT, My question; is it necessary to have the skills and type faster in IBT-TOEFL as well? how does it counts in the time limits????

HUGE THANX in advance thou'!

:ilov eindonesia

oh yeah a little tips to improve your accents:

1. i'm a vocalist + guitarist in a metal bands that i sing fast and yet clearly in English i guess singing and screaming at the same time enhance my pronunciation and punctuality in making up and arranging a song lyrics hahahahah....

2. USE SKYPE or camfrogs or joining international chatting links! if u can't find GAIJIN (foreigners) from english speaking countries.... at least Facebook lah!

3.Speaks at least simple english in everyday conversation......! at least "YEs" "no" "I love u" or "dirty language" hahahaha

4. Don't get trapped with odd english words in slang and idioms, i mean... do the Brit speaks english as well as singaporean or australian or even any philipinos??? nuhhhh i don't think sooo....... Based on my experience my Brit friends seems confused when he speaks with his singaporean roomies as well as my Brazilian friends! SO make up your mind and chose the easiest and universal English accents there is; the AMERICAN accent! since i think it is accent less and simpler to practice for any non native speakers than modern Brit English accents! e.... for native breed of welsh and Irish and Scottish, ENGLISH is not their 1st languages!

5. Anyway learning English is EASIER for Indonesian, since it is in Roman alphabets unlike Japanese in kanji and furigana or Korean with their Hangull! (trust me i take 5 years of learning JAPANESE yet i go to Japanese university still i just remember 3000 KANJI which enough to help me finds a toilets!!!)

&. in Speaking, Grammar considerations is nothing! the point of speaking is to deliver a message! i never pay attention to it and it turns out to be a disaster of learning such formula for ME!

Quote:Original Posted By bananaspit
In last February I took TOEFL prediction test provided by my work place. I wasnt well prepared due to some unfortunate events prior the test. The registration announcement was very sudden, only one day before the test. To make thing worse, I came 15 minutes late at the test room.
This was the first time I took TOEFL test. There were questions form sheet and the answers must done by making round marks on the answer sheet with 2B pencil (just like SPMB or try out test). The first session was listening. I cant concentrate and hear the audio well. Most of the questions I answered by guessing, because I have no idea what the speakers talk about. The second session is structure and I think I manage to answer most of the question right. The third session was reading. I found reading was rather difficult because I had to read the pharagraphs twice to get the main point. It was time consumed, before I read the last two stories, the session was over, and once again I answered the rest of the questions by guessing.
Here are the test result:
Listening; correct=33 converted score= 52
Structure; correct=32 converted score=56
Reading; correct=34 converted score=51
Total converted score=159 PBT score=530

Do you guys think, base on mystory above, would my result be good enough had I much prepared before the test? I plan to take a real TOEFL next year and my target is to get a minimum score 570 because that is the minimum score required to apply for scholarship. The past test I didnt have to pay because my work place already paid it, but the real TOEFL will be really expensive for me. I hope I would only need one test to get the minimum score. Should I take TOEFL preparation course? Or can I improve my score by reading newspapers and doing exercise from TOEFL software without taking the preparation course?

Oh, I also try to improve my listening skill by listening some conversation material I found from internet. The site name is [url]www.elllo.org[/url] for daily conversation and [url]www.speakeasytokyo.net/downtobusinessenglish/wordpress/[/url] for conversation about economy in general.
I think they provide good listening material and it's free to download.

Quote:Original Posted By restar
huaaa... i just received my toefl score.. i only got 82, which is equal to 553 according to page one.. drop 51 points from 604 in pbt..

oh well, i'll kill the test next year.. my target is 100 emoticon-Mad: emoticon-army:

what i can tell from what i've experienced are:
1. don't drink expired milk before entering the test emoticon-Hammer (true story, i accidentally drank expired ready-to-drink milk while waiting and it gave my annoying stomachache.. it's like in naruto episode.. stupid emoticon-Hammer )
2. sleep enough.. it's quite exhausting (for me).. don't stay late even though your football team played one day before the test emoticon-Malu
3. do the test or you won't get the score emoticon-Big Grin
4. for reading, well, skim the passage, understand what it tells you about.. don't mind about the time, i mean, it's useless if you do it fast but you have no idea what you answered.. well, just balance it.. i got the 2nd highest score in this section..
5. listening is the easiest part. just listen and answer.
6. speaking..my 1st Achilles heel.. my hands were cold, my brain went dead, but the show must go on.. i got "fair" in this section, so i've no capacity in giving tips.. in my defense, it would be difficult for non-native speaker who don't use english as everyday language..
7. writing is my next weakness.. i thought i gave my best effort, but it has the lowest score in all sections.. so, i also need more practices in this section..

hmm.. well, that's all.. not too shabby i guess, but i still not happy enough with the result.. darn..

the participants aside me were men, so, there's no mood booster.. it's like sausagefest in there.. i wonder if there were girls, maybe i can be more energetic in doing the test emoticon-Ngakak
(joke.. emoticon-Peace )
Useful Tips and Strategies to Kill iBT TOEFL

Quote:TOEFL iBT Reading Tips and Strategies emoticon-cystg

The best way to improve reading skills is to read frequently and to read many different types of texts in various subject areas (sciences, social sciences, arts, business and so on). Make sure to regularly read texts that are academic in style, the kind that are used in university courses. The Internet is one of the best resources for this and, of course, books, magazines and journals are very helpful as well.
Here are a few suggestions for ways to build your reading skills:
•\tScan passages to find and highlight key facts (dates, numbers, terms) and information; practice this frequently to increase reading rate and fluency.
•\tPractice skimming a passage quickly to get a general impression of the main idea, rather than carefully reading each word and each sentence.
•\tAfter skimming a passage, read it again more carefully and write down the main idea, major points and important facts.
•\tIdentify the passage type (e.g., classification, cause/effect, compare/contrast, problem/solution, description, narration and so on).
•\tOrganize the information in the passage:
o\tCreate an outline of the passage to distinguish between major and minor points.
o\tIf the passage categorizes information, create a chart and place the information in the appropriate categories (Note: on the TOEFL iBT, you do not have to create such a chart. Instead, a chart with possible answer choices is provided for you, and you must fill in the chart with correct choices.) Practicing this skill will help you think about categorizing information so you can do it with ease.
o\tCreate a summary of the passage using the charts and outlines.

TOEFL iBT Listening Tips and Strategies emoticon-Forum Music

The best way to improve listening skills is to listen frequently to many different types of material in various subject areas (sciences, social sciences, arts, business and so on). Of course, watching movies and TV and listening to radio is an excellent way to practice listening. Audio tapes and CDs of talks are available at libraries and bookstores; those with transcripts are particularly helpful. The Internet is also a great resource for listening material

Here are a few suggestions for ways to build your listening skills:
•\tStay active by asking yourself questions (e.g., What main idea is the professor communicating?).
•\tListen to a portion of a lecture or talk and create an outline of important points and use the outline to write a brief summary.
•\tThink about what each speaker hopes to accomplish: that is, what is the purpose of the speech or conversation? Is the speaker apologizing, complaining, making suggestions?
•\tIdentify the relationships between ideas in the information being discussed. Possible relationships include: cause-and-effect, compare-and-contrast, and steps in a process.
•\tWhen you listen to recorded material, stop the recording at various points and try to predict what information or idea will be expressed nex

TOEFL iBT Speaking Tips and Strategies emoticon-2 Jempol

The best way to practice is speaking with native speakers of English as much as possible. For those not living in English-speaking countries, finding native speakers of English to speak with can be quite challenging. In some countries, there are English-speaking tutors or assistants who can help students with their conversation and overall communication skills. Another way you can practice speaking is to join a club that involves speaking in English about movies, music, travel and so on. If no such club exists in your area, try starting your own club and invite native speakers you know to join, too.
Here are a few suggestions for ways to build your speaking skills:
•\tPractice stating an opinion or preference within a 1-minute time limit.
•\tRead a short article (100–200 words), and make an outline that only includes the major points of the article. Use the outline to summarize the information orally.
•\tFind listening and reading material on the same topic. The material can provide similar or different views. (The Internet and the library are good places to find information.) Take notes or create outlines on the listening and reading material and do the following:

o\tOrally summarize the information in both, and then orally synthesize by combining the information from the reading and listening materials and explain how they relate.
o\tState an opinion about the ideas and information presented in the reading and listening material.
•\tRecord yourself as you practice, and ask yourself questions such as:

o\tDid I complete the task?
o\tDid I speak clearly?
o\tDid I make grammatical errors?
o\tDid I use words correctly?
o\tDid I organize my ideas clearly and appropriately?
o\tDid I use the time effectively?
o\tDid I speak too fast? Or too slowly?
o\tDid I pause too often?
•\tMonitor your own progress by keeping an audio journal of your speaking practice. You can also ask for feedback from friends, tutors or teachers. Teachers can use the TOEFL iBT Speaking Scoring Guide to evaluate your practice.
Here are the most common topics in the iBT TOEFL Speaking Section
1. Picnic experience during school days.
2. Your dressing style
3. What do you do in your free time? (Your most favourite hobby)
4. How do you learn English?
5. Which sport do you like best?
6. Which dish do you like best?
7. Your most favourite/important subject
8. You future plan
9. Your best scholastic achievement
10. What kind of music do you like best?
11. What do you expect in your parents?
12. If you had a wish, what would you wish?
13. If you can change one thing in your university, what would you change?
14. Your best friend
15. The person you like best
16. Your unforgettable day
17. What is unforgettable in your school life?
18. Your idea of a happy life
19. A type of book you enjoy reading
20. The fruit you like to eat most
21. Your favourite TV show
22. The movie you like best
23. The place you would like to visit
24. The strangest dream you have had
25. What would you do if you suddenly had a lot of money?
26. Your first attempt to gain
27. Your ideal holiday resort
28. Your ambition
29. Your most influential person/teacher, and explain why you feel this person is a positive role model.
30. Where will you be professionally in ten/15/20 years time?
31. What quality do you like best in a friend?
32. What do you treasure most in life?
33. What are the qualities of a good citizen?
34. Your favourite time of the year?
35. Your favourite colour?
36. What are the qualities of a good teacher?
37. What are the qualities of a good student?
38. What are the qualities of a good parent?
40. If you could change one thing in your country, what would you change?
41. The most inspiring person to you
42. Describe a job that you’ve had, and explain why it was important.
43. Describe a person you admire and explain why you admire him or her.
44. If you could have any job in the world, which job would you choose?
45. Describe a book that you have read and explain why it was important to you.
46. What all u miss when you are away from your home
47. My favorite book.
48. Your most memorable experience.
49. Best mode of transport in your country.
50. Music is essential or not in education. Agree or not?
51. How will you treat a foreigner when he is at your place, like what food would you provide him.
52. What would u prefer, an internet or a book ?
53. Describe a house that you live in
54. If you had an entire month to do whatever you would like to do, what would it be? Include details and example to support your selection
55. What are the characteristics of a good neighbor?
56. Which person has helped you the most to get where you are today, and how has he or she helped you?
57. What does your dream house look like?
58. What person who is alive today would you most like to meet?
59. Why are you preparing for the TOEFL test?
MORE USEFUL TIPS:

Quote:Original Posted By Vipergame
well, I just want to share my speaking tips when I prepared my IELTS last year. Hope it's really useful for all emoticon-Angkat Beer

Part 1 - Warm-up
• The questions are easy, so the examiner cannot be sure of your level from only Part 1. You can give very easy answers, but this is a chance to make a good impression. If you give easy answers, the examiner will not know if you are Band 4 or maybe Band 5. If you give good, specific answers with explanations, the examiner will think you could be Band 6 or Band 7! emoticon-Big Grin

• You can use this time to practice making good sentences. If you wait until Part 2 and Part 3 to give longer answers, you might not do so well. Athletes and musicians always take time to warm up. You should too! emoticon-Angkat Beer

Part 2 - the "Long Turn"
• The biggest mistake students make is to not take notes. The examiner will give you a piece of paper and a pencil to take notes because speaking for two minutes without stopping is not easy. Even native English speakers will have trouble speaking for two minutes! Students who don't take notes often say, "Uh, I think maybe, um.... Um..., well... It seems to me...". "Uh" and "Um" are Band ZERO! Use notes to help you remember what you want to say. If not, you WILL get a low score. emoticon-Frown

• Use the P.R.E.P. method. Start with "P" - make one sentence about your main Point. Then give two or three sentences to provide "R", a Reason. Next give "E", an Example. Describe the example using two or three sentences. Finish by repeating "P", your main Point, but use a different sentence. If you have extra time, give a second example. emoticon-2 Jempol

• You must practice! Use a watch and give yourself one minute to take notes on a topic, then two minutes to make four or five sentences using the PREP method. You should practice one or two topics every day before the test. emoticon-Bola

• Do not worry about the time. That is the examiner's job. He or she will tell you when to stop. emoticon-Cool

Part 3 - General Questions
• Part 3 is the hardest part of the Speaking Test and it comes very fast. Most students aren't ready. When you hear the examiner say "And now I'd like to ask you some more GENERAL questions RELATED to your Part 2 topic", you know Part 3 is starting. Be ready! emoticon-Takut

• Do NOT take so much time. Two sentences for each answer is usually enough. If you have a long introduction, the examiner will think you don't know how to answer the question. emoticon-Hammer

• Use the General-Specific technique. As soon as you hear the question, give a general opinion about the topic. Then give a specific reason or example in the next sentence or two. emoticon-Shakehand2

Quote:Original Posted By lovefinder
How many years do I need to practice English to get fluent speaking like
you do? I hope I could do the same as you do in this few months. Sounds optimistic but unrealistic huh? You have an excellent English skill. emoticon-2 Jempol

Anyway, I appreciate what you shared and I hope you keep the good work by giving more knowledge to us.

Thank you very much. If I need to ask somebody about IELTS, I will directly ask you. emoticon-Malu (S)

There is no trick, just familiarize with each module. They provide study material, one should read the book nicely to get familiar with what it is all about. it is very simple, no great shakes, go calm and one can easily manage 7+. make sure you do not use abbreviations as we do when we are chatting or writing emails. when i had to take the IELTS, I made sure i gave attention to my grammar, no shortcuts when it comes to words etc.

If you don't feel confident, there are options to take IELTS training but trust me that is just a money making gimmick.. a month before taking the test read an English newspaper aloud everyday, that is far better than taking training. But again for me it is easier to say since I studied in English medium all my life, I read a lot, I read novels and anything and everything and have been doing that since forever now. If nothing else I start reading a dictionary emoticon-Big Grin I am not saying my grammar is the best. I made such blunders but I made sure I then corrected myself a month before I took the test and this went on till the date of the test. I used to speak to my friends and everyone else only in English (I am very confident but when u know u r being tested, one can get conscious).

My advice is to practice as much as you can. I downloaded all the Cambridge practice test books (there are 7 of then) from the internet and did at least 10 tests by myself at home. In my opinion, it's the best way to get good band scores in reading and listening because the questions in these sections are formulated in a way you just need to get used to.

For writing, it's more tricky, just have a look at good sample essays you find on the internet and try to write a few by yourself until you feel comfortable with it. Try to time yourself, remember that you've got only one hour for two essays on the day of the test and it's not that easy to finish in time.

For speaking, it's more difficult to practice unless you know a fluent speaker and can talk to him regularly. I found the 2nd part of speaking the most difficult, talking for 2 minutes on a given subject. You need to think fast and make up a story that can keep you going for two minutes. Don't worry if you have occasional slips, if you're not a native speaker, it's not that bad, the most important is to keep talking and to reply with good arguments to the questions asked.

Quote:Original Posted By Olli3
Unless you are required to take TOEFL test sometime soon, there's no need in taking a course. TOEFL course is a short-term course and I can tell you that it's not fun as you'll be facing quite extensive study throughout your course period, which varies from 2 weeks - 6 months. Perhaps a conversation class will suit you better? There's nothing wrong in taking general English course either to kill the time.

Agree with you Olli3 emoticon-shakehand

Here are some iBT TOEFL software links to help you practice and get ready with your test emoticon-Big Grin

Thanks to bro guepeng emoticon-shakehand
Quote:Originally Posted by guepeng
Last time I used
"Longman - Preparation Course for the iBT TOEFL" to prepare for my iBT test. Nowadays, the TOEFL test is usually in iBT form.
Try browsing this
http://www.shareseeking.com/Longman-...EFL_17928.html

or

credit to bro yobitz

Spoiler for Free IELTS Material Links:

RELATED KASKUS LINK TO ENGLISH STUDY MATERIALS!!
iBT TOEFL Speaking Task1-6 Tips and Tricks

Quote:Original Posted By Muscleboy
Thank you very much TS for making this thread. I have got a lot of usefull information from this thread.

By the way, I will take an iBT TOEFL next November and at the moment I am studying by myself for the preparation. If you guys can help me for other information that can be usefull for my study, I will be very thank you.

I did Institutional TOEFL in LIA Pramuka last year and my TOEFL Prediction is 509. But I know it is not a guarante that I will get that score. Furthermore since 2005 EPT, in Indonesia, only provided iBT TOEFL which is really diferrent from the PBT one.

I got two questions for you about iBT TOEFL:
First: Since there is no structure section in iBT TOEFL do you think it is useless to study this section for anyone who will take an iBT TOEFL?

Second: If so, then should I change my orientation of study which until now mainly focus on structure section to speaking section (which I predict as the hardest part in iBT TOEFL)?

Thank you very much for your answer.

regards, Muscleboy

Well, I have to admit that in iBT TOEFL the structure usage is less important if compared to PBT format. However, I never recommend all not to study the structure (word formation, phrasal verbs, tenses, clauses, conditionals, gerunds-infinitives, etc) since in fact, we still need structure for speaking and as well as for writing-especially task 2 a.k.a independent writing or the essay.
Here, to make you better to prepare for the iBT speaking, I would like to share my secret (my template) which really helped me to organize my talk, time, and content of my responses in the 6 different tasks of speaking emoticon-Big Grin

Quote:

Independent Speaking (Question 1 & 2=Free Choice vs Paired Choice Task)

Spoiler for ETS TOEFL iBT Independent Speaking 1 and 2:

In this section, you are asked to present your own opinion and provide examples to support your ideas.

Useful tips:

1. Your answer should be as SPECIFIC as possible. You need to stick to a point UNTIL you finish it, have done with it, and need never return to it again.

2. The key to score high is to make each point WELL-DEVELOPED, and that DOES NOT mean you need to make as much points as you can, two would be great.

3. Truth and REASONABLE LIES are totally acceptable. The graders won't give a damn about who we are emoticon-Ngakak

4. NEVER say "I have three (or whatever) reasons to support my idea", or some thing like that after you state your opinion. There is no guarantee that you are able to finish your answer within 45 seconds. Instead, you can say "I have a couple of reasons to say."

SPEAKING TASK 1
Your answer might go like this:

"Well, I would like to say that, um, my favorite ... is .... and there are a couple of reasons to explain. The most important thing is that, you know,.... What's more,.... So that's why...."

SPEAKING TASK2
Your answer might go like this:

"Well, in my opinion, I would definitely agree with the point that, um,.... The first reason that I wanna say is that.... More importantly,.... So, uh, that's why I choose ... for the two reasons listed above."

INTEGRATED SPEAKING (Question 3, 4, 5 & 6)

SPEAKING QUESTION 3 AND 5 - CAMPUS TASK
Spoiler for ETS TOEFL iBT Integrated Speaking Task 3 and Task 5:

In this part, you are asked to paraphrase the boy or girl's attitude first, and then list the reasons he/she gives. In QUESTION 3, you are NOT asked to present your opinion towards this problem. However, in QUESTION 5, you REALLY need to make a choice between the solutions that the man/woman gives.

SPEAKING TASK3
Your answer could go like this:
"The school/campus has announced a new policy/rule/regulation that... due to .... And the man/woman holds a positive/negative view towards the announcement. The first reason s/he gives is that.... And the second one is based on the fact that...."

Useful tips:

*In the reading part, DO NOT waste your time on taking notes, it is unnecessary. Just figure out what the announcement is mainly talking about, you do not need to say anything about it after all.
*When listening, just write down THREE major points-attitude, reason 1 & reason 2. You can use "+" and "-" to represent positive attitude and negative attitude.
*Make sure that you get ALL the reasons that the man/woman gives. Any thing missed will lower your score.
*DO NOT spend too much time explaining why the school has pull out the policy, simple words would be fine.
*DO NOT spend too much time retelling the first reason, you should finish talking about it in 20 seconds.

SPEAKING TASK5
In question 5, you are asked to paraphrase the man/woman's problem and then retell the solutions that the woman/man comes up with. And for this time, you should make a choice between the two.

Your answer can go like this:
"In this conversation, the man/woman is having a hard time dealing with the problem that.... And the woman/man offers him/ her two possible solutions. One is .... The other is .... And if it were my choice, I would choose the former/latter one, because ...."

Useful tips:
*The OPTIMAL time allotment is: 10 seconds for the problem, 17 seconds for each solution, and 10 seconds for your choice and why, and about 6 seconds pausing throughout your answer.
*DO REMEMBER that you HAVE TO state your opinion in your answer. BUT do not spend too much time on that.
*Make your answer as SIMPLE as it can be, you really don't have enough time to cover everything mentioned in the conversation.
*DO say "the man/woman (NAMES ARE BETTER!) offers her/him TWO(or THREE) solutions." This is to ensure that you get all the solutions even if you can't finish you answer in time, so the examiner will still give you a good score.

SPEAKING QUESTION 4 AND 6 - ACADEMIC LECTURE
Spoiler for ETS TOEFL iBT Integrated Speaking Task 4 and Task 6:

SPEAKING TASK4
Your answer can go like this:

"In the lecture, the professor mainly talked about the theory that.... To reinforce the theory, the professor gave two reasons in his speech. The first one is that.... The other one is that.... And that's the two reasons the speaker presented to explain his idea.(The conclusion is optional)"

Useful tips:
*Find the KEY words as soon as possible and then write them down. This is to make sure that you will know what the professor is gonna talk about.
*Pay attention to the JARGONS in order to get familiar with the words that you don't know before.
*Do not panic if you don't know anything about the subject, because your opinion is NOT included.

SPEAKING TASK6
In question 6, the speaker usually gives two examples to explain a theory or a phenomenon. So your main job is to find what the theory or the phenomenon is, and jot down the examples that the professor presents in the lecture.

"In the lecture, the professor provides two examples to illustrate the phenomenon/theory that.... The first one is that.... Another example Is that.... And that's the two examples the speaker presented to explain the theory/phenomenon. (Still, the conclusion is optional)". (You can make adjustments on this style according to different lectures)

Useful tips:
*The OPTIMAL time allotment is: 15 seconds for the theory/ phenomenon, SO 20 seconds for each example, and about 5 seconds pausing throughout you answer.
*Question 6, to a certain extent, is quite similar to question 4. However, Q6 is even HARDER because you don't have the chance to read anything about the lecture. So, stay ALERT while you are listening.
*Take as many details as you can.
*You should catch the TRANSITIONAL WORDS, such as "what's more" and "moreover", which indicate that the professor is gonna talk about another point.

emoticon-Angkat Beer Here is a video of Jason Rensaw that I quote the 1st time. probably can be a useful addition.

Spoiler for Common problems in speaking:
iBT TOEFL Writing Question 1: Integrated Task Tips and Tricks

Spoiler for ETS TOEFL iBT Writing Integrated Task1:

Quote: A.WRITING IS EASY!!emoticon-Ngakak
Some common problems plague many students. One problem is during the first three minutes when you've got to read the passage before the lecture. How do you find the most important points in the reading within three minutes? If there are more than two paragraphs, then you can scan the first and last line of each paragraph because that is where the topic sentences tend to be. If the passage only has two paragraphs, then it is more challenging because you have to scan the entire paragraph but remember to keep an eye out for reasons, examples, and details and then backtrack to the main point that should come before these items.
Another problem occurs during the lecture when students don't take enough notes. Remember that you need to try and keep an open ear. This means that you should not think too much while you listen. Do not try and connect any points from the reading during the lecture, for this will cause you to miss parts of the lecture. Just concentrate on the lecture. Then, write everything you can about the lecture when the twenty minute writing portion begins. If you do this, you might be surprised at what you could remember.

Finally, many test takers are confused by vocabulary words in the lecture. When you hear a word that you don't understand, pay attention to the context. If you can give the definition without the word, then your response will still be heading towards a high score. Omitting a few words that you couldn't hear shouldn't damage your score too much. Focus on what you know.

Quote: B. How To Take Notes

Taking notes is essential to kracking the iBT code. If you want to win, you must take good notes. Some teachers will tell you to take selective notes and they mean that you should try to focus on just the most important points. Other teachers will tell you to write everything down that you hear and not to think too much will writing. What to do? Try to use pieces of both according to the section and the difficulty of the passage that you're listening to. If the lecture is really difficult, then it is best to relax and just take down as many things as you can. Likewise, if you understand the lecture, then you can be more selective. Now, when we're taking notes for the integrated writing question, we've got two things to do. First, take notes on the reading. At this stage, you want to be selective because you only have three minutes. Yes, you will see the reading while you write, but during these three minutes, you want to isolate three important points that will be addressed in the lecture. Then, during the lecture, which is traditionally the hardest part for iBT test takers, write down everything that you hear without thinking too much about it. You've got twenty minutes to write. Use that time to think about it.

Quote: C. Use The Reporting Verbs emoticon-cystg

Push yourself to use stronger verbs during the integrated writing response. Since you should cite whether the information comes from the reading or the lecture anyways, try to use verbs that reflect more complexity than simple verbs like show, think, and doubt. Practice using other verbs and it will become automatic. If you manage to do this, then your response will seem to possess a better vocabulary. Here is a list to get you started.

1. Synonyms for claim: acknowledge, accept, subscribe to, uphold, allege, assert, attest, contend, declare, proclaim, indicate, maintain, and report.
2. Synonyms for deny: discredit, disprove, eschew, and refute.
3. Synonyms for warn: advise, caution, dissuade, and forewarn.
4. Synonyms for wonder: inquire, speculate, ponder, and query.

Use these regularly to strengthen your response so that instead of mentioning that "the reading shows" or "the lecture doubts", your response will include "the reading alleges" and "the lecture discredits."

Quote:
Spoiler for cast-doubt template/please adjust to your own type of task:

iBT Writing Question2: Independent Task (Essay) Tips and Tricks

Spoiler for ETS TOEFL iBT Independent Task2:

Quote:The 5 Most Important Sentences You Will Ever Write!

What is the most important thing to have written before the thirty minutes is over? and the answer is that:
1. You must have written your THESIS STATEMENT in the INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH,
2. 3 TOPIC SENTENCES in Paragraph 2, 3, and 4 (BODY PARAGRAPH), and
3. CONCLUSION at the very least in Paragraph 5 / ENDING

This question is all about structure, whereas the integrated question is all about content. Focus on structure.
Brainstorm for three minutes about the question and then make an outline in about two minutes. If you do not outline the key ideas of your essay, usually you'll have problems with structure. Outline using only key words to arrange the order of your paper before you write it.
Next, I recommend writing the five most important sentences of your essay. Write the thesis, three topic sentences, and the conclusion within ten minutes. This way if you run out of time, your paper will appear finished with its conclusion already in place. Then spend the remaining time filling out each paragraph. Concentrate on the body of your essay by supporting those topic sentences with reasons, details, and examples. Don't forget the power of personal examples but don't use too many of them.

The Breakdown of Independent Writing:
You have thirty minutes on this question (the last one of the test) to show off your writing skills in these categories: structure, grammar, and vocabulary. While you should be building up your vocabulary every day with at least five new words and writing samples that can be corrected by a teacher daily, the first thing to master on this question is structure.
I.For the three minutes, brainstorm
(Write down any ideas that come to you) and don't think about good or bad ideas, just write many key ideas as you can.
II.Then for two minutes, outline the ideas that you've brainstormed
This is when you decide which ideas are the best to include in your essay. After five minutes, you should have a brief outline that gives you an idea of what your paper will look like.
III.For the next 10 minutes, write your thesis (main idea of the essay), topic sentences (main ideas of each paragraph that support the thesis), and a conclusion.
This should be a total of four to five sentences and they represent the main ideas of your paper. At fifteen minutes, you've brainstormed, outlined, and then written the most important sentences in your paper. For the next ten minutes, fill out the thesis into a short introduction, add details and examples to the topic sentences and then finally write another sentence or two in the conclusion. At this point, you should have five minutes to revise your paper and get rid of any obvious mistakes.

Let's try from Making the Introduction (Piece of Cake!)emoticon-Big Grin

Spoiler for Sample of Introduction:

Let's Get It Done Easily Beibeh emoticon-Big Grin

Spoiler for Sample of Independent Writing:

[B]

Anyone wants to share the experience of writing/speaking? Please do so emoticon-Angkat Beer

1 from 15

IELTS WRITING

If you read this writing, then I assume you have some interest to take IELTS test someday in the future. I don’t know how much time you do have to prepare for it, but I hope, … no, I wish you all the best, and I hope this five-ten minutes you spend reading this may benefit you somehow.

I’ve seen many people describe IELTS writing as ‘rather difficult to conquer,’ ‘damn, it’s difficult’, ‘why is it so hard?’ ‘I don’t know what to write’ ‘I know what I want to write, but I can’t get it out.’ ‘I’m runnin’ out of time.’ ‘I lost focus and my last two paragraphs are totally unrelated to the previous.’ ‘I give up.’ And the most terrifying … a vacant stare to the paper, jaw dropped, shaking shoulder… trembling voice .. ‘Whhhaattt is this?’’
These are some reactions that you want to avoid.

You don’t want any of that happening to you. Because if you do, then, bye-bye US$195, I shall re-take. Or even worse, bye-bye scholarship…
So let’s focus, do you know how to focus? Okay, if you don’t, then I suggest you take a deep breath before continue reading this. If you have never got any kind of experience at all with IELTS essay, then I tell you, it’s a totally different space & dimension. That room… There is no voice in that room … you can even hear every breath of other candidate clearly. Everyone is biting their lower lips; they pinch the pencil so strong that it almost breaks, nervous sweat starting to drop, some shed their tears … emoticon-Berduka (S)

Examiner will give you several piece of paper, questions and answer sheet. If you look disappointed, you’re being bullied. If you’re smiling at this moment, you probably will be a very happy person when the test result is published.

What about the time? The clock is ticking so fast you won’t believe it.

You look at your watch. It’s 11 o’clock. You’ve just finished writing your first paragraph for task 1… It’s 11.30, You can’t help it, you continue to write as fast as you can … Your heart racing ... You’ve just finished your second paragraph of task 2 when three native/examiner/bule in front of the room warn loudly “5 Minutes Left”. … And then three seconds after that … “Time’s Up! Everyone please stop writing now. Don’t write anything or you’ll be disqualified from the test.. Put your pen away. We’ll take your … bla bla bla” The End.

You realize you finish your essay without a conclusion, and less than 250 words... No mystery there, you know your band already for writing 3!

Now let me ask you: Do you want to avoid that? Do you seriously promise that you won’t let that happen to you?

You can win against IELTS writing! Only if you believe in yourself... only if you believe in yourself..
Spoiler for How??:

to be continued ...
(kesamaan tempat tokoh dan situasi hanyalah kebetulan. ini cerita fiktif.) Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]
I'm planning to take IELTS on July yet I still confused which better, TOEFL iBT or IELTS.
does anyone know about the IELTS workshop held by IDP? is it recommended?

k screw me

this thread is so helpful anyway ~
Quote:Original Posted By rahan
IELTS WRITING

You can win against IELTS writing! Only if you believe in yourself... only if you believe in yourself..
Spoiler for How??:

to be continued ...
(kesamaan tempat tokoh dan situasi hanyalah kebetulan. ini cerita fiktif.) Qualifications, iBT/PBT TOEFL & IELTS+All Related English Courses In Indonesia [Tips]

nice motivation! emoticon-Big Grin

Quote:Original Posted By araniax
I'm planning to take IELTS on July yet I still confused which better, TOEFL iBT or IELTS.
does anyone know about the IELTS workshop held by IDP? is it recommended?

k screw me

this thread is so helpful anyway ~

well, between the choice of iBT TOEFL or IELTS decision, it depends on your campus requirement. Pls check it first before you take the test. Anyway, I never know about the IDP IELTS workshop. Perhaps the other kaskusers can help you with that emoticon-shakehand

Hi! I might be taking IBT TOEFL test around september.
What i'm very worry about, my english is so bad.
My english score is just average.

Would you suggest me TOEFL preparation english course in west jakarta (around Puri Indah) and also not too expensive?

I'm interesting with EF, but, many friends of mine told me EF is bad english course, the teacher is not profesional. is that true?

Thanks.

(sorry for my bad english)

Quote:Original Posted By asukapyon

hi! I might be taking ibt toefl test around september.
What i'm very worry about, my english is so bad.
My english score is just average.

Would you suggest me toefl preparation english course in west jakarta (around puri indah) and also not too expensive?

I'm interesting with ef, but, many friends of mine told me ef is bad english course, the teacher is not profesional. Is that true?

Thanks.

(sorry for my bad english)

with all respect. Please read the beginning of this thread.thank you

Quote:Original Posted By klanese

warning!! This thread is mainly intended either far from certain institution promotion or your complaints about specific english courses. Any disruptive behavior, impolite posts, as well as negative comments to discredit some english courses are open to be officially reported onto ef moderators.
this is my first post in english subforum though...and why i am here is because tomorrow is the test dayemoticon-Frownemoticon-Frownemoticon-Frown and frankly i don't have enough preparation for that nor sufficent information about how exactly the test will be running...emoticon-Berduka (S)

my test will take place in Vista International programs in bandung..(does anybody have the same schedule as mine here? i'll glad if so.maybe we could have meet and greet session after the testemoticon-Big Grinemoticon-Embarrassment )

and..i have some odd questions here...what kind of things i should bring for the test? some that already in my checklist are: the ticket that emailed to us and ID's (i have national ID and driver license here).. so anything else? and..how long the estimated time to finish the test?

sorry bout my poor english emoticon-Big Grin
Quote:Original Posted By danimon
this is my first post in english subforum though...and why i am here is because tomorrow is the test dayemoticon-Frownemoticon-Frownemoticon-Frown and frankly i don't have enough preparation for that nor sufficent information about how exactly the test will be running...emoticon-Berduka (S)

my test will take place in Vista International programs in bandung..(does anybody have the same schedule as mine here? i'll glad if so.maybe we could have meet and greet session after the testemoticon-Big Grinemoticon-Embarrassment )

and..i have some odd questions here...what kind of things i should bring for the test? some that already in my checklist are: the ticket that emailed to us and ID's (i have national ID and driver license here).. so anything else? and..how long the estimated time to finish the test?

sorry bout my poor english emoticon-Big Grin

Just bring your printed ticket confirmation stating that you've been registered at the test center along with your passport or national ID or driving license. Blank papers and pencils are always provided by the test center.

Good luck for tomorrow gan! emoticon-Angkat Beer
IELTS is like an unexplored territory for me, I have no clue
I have been heard all this rumors about how hard IELTS is, and probably these rumors are true emoticon-Takut (S)

I went to some Education Consultant like a week ago, they told me IELTS is freggin hard and i need to take some preparation class that would cost me 50 mil to secure my pass to a uni.

i never take English Courses before, is 50 mil over the top for this kind of course? or i just haven't been out much? emoticon-Hammer

anyway, thank youuuu for this comprehensive info
i wish i could give you cendol, but i havent got my iso yet emoticon-Stick Out Tongue
I am just sharing :

For TOEFL IBT : I took the test on 8 Jan 2012

The result available on web score after a week.

They sent my report by mail on 23 Jan 2012 and I received it today 14 Jan 2012.

So It will take 5-6 weeks if you need the printed score report available for your admission. But you can do print screen or print the web score report if the university allows you to do that.
So calculate your time before you take the test.

For Toefl IBT, i suggest you to register 3-4 weeks before the test to ensure availability and you can choose good location near your house.

IBT is easy if you well prepared !

Just use The simulation program for reading, listening, and speaking.

For Speaking, you can use youtube.com for some tips. I used it and it is good.

For writing, this is the lowest score i gotten, i think you have to read more and write more. Use simple grammar and simple word but suit to the topic.

For my test i got 94. Reading 27 Reading 25 Speaking 22 Writing 20 and i just used the simulation program from the KAPLAN IBT book 2010-2011.

Good Luck for you all.