alexa-tracking
Kategori
Kategori
Home / FORUM / All / News / English /
Are you proud of Indonesia?
5 stars - based on 3 vote 5 stars 0 stars
KASKUS
https://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/55f6e893162ec276408b4568/are-you-proud-of-indonesia

Tampilkan isi Thread
Halaman 2 dari 4
Quote:

you must go through some process in order to accomplished/achive something

lets look japan people in 18/19th century as a sampleemoticon-Smilie
they're isolate & backward, then suddenly they're exposed to western advancement(technology, science etc), after that many japannese went overseas to study western science and culture or openbussiness but strengly they coming back home and implement what they learn or get in there in their own japan way.
why those man/women even the smart and rich one coming back home and implement what they learn abroad in their own japan way while their country surely is a backward, poor, and weak country and nothing compere to US, Britain, Germany or even China backthen??

Quote:

maybe there were advantages for them to come back to their countries after studying then contribute to their country, and as a result build their country. on the other hand, I see many many people try to live overseas instead of coming back to Indonesia after studying overseas emoticon-Frown

maybe there isn't much advantages of coming back?
Quote:

Are you saying those who came back because they were proud of their countryemoticon-Malu (S). do you even realise that japan then and japan now are completely different? Those scholars were sent to study and they were required to come back, japan then was an isolationist country, the flow of people in and out of the country was highly restricted and controlled.

Furthermore, if they were so proud of their country why then the need to go out and learn things? Ccould it be because of ...drumroll please... *shame*emoticon-Malu (S), being so backward, poor and weak (like you said) compared to other countries, You brought out a good example though, what japan did and felt back then were exactly what our country need to go forward not some baseless *pride*. Do you want to repeat the same mistake the japanese did? Being blindly proud but then forced to bow down when the harsh reality struck. When do we want to realise that we should feel ashamed right now not proud.

surely iam...i am just proud to be born in.i am proud to my country whre some people have loved me,have struggled at least for freedom until now...believe me,it is joyful better than complaining where i should to be born in.i may be naif person,but i dont waste my time to imagine or comparing other countries.i just do what i can n what should i do
at last,it is about country not about every citizens or the government of it
Diubah oleh kefett
I had a discussion regarding this issue few weeks ago with a friend of mine. After our brief encounter with some obnoxious foreign consultant who were being too proud of their home country, it got us thinking about how do we feel about our own country.

Long story short, we agreed on some degree or levels of nation pride. first, personally, I never been ashamed or shy about stating my nationality in international forum. I'm an Indonesian, born and raised in this soil. Externally, people can see that I have no problem being Indonesian, I'm proud to be one.
However, internally, conscious or unconsciously, I felt an emotional drag whenever I thought about my fellow Indonesians who are not as lucky as I am now. who live below the poverty line, who are unemployed, homeless, uneducated, suppressed and tortured. and about all the problems that plague this nation.
can we be collectively proud? Does our pride represents the notion of the majority?
Quote:

"Are you proud of Indonesia?" and "Are you proud of being an Indonesian?" are actually two different questions, even though a same reply can be applied to both questions.
"Are you proud of being an Indonesian?" can only be asked to Indonesians.
On the other hand, "Are you proud of Indonesia?" can also be asked to non-Indonesians.
At least that's what I think.

Am I proud of Indonesia?
It depends.
If I see achievements of our talented and/or succesful fellow Indonesians either locally or internationally, I am proud.
If I watch TV and see the smoke in Sumatra and Kalimantan endangering local residents and even other countries, then I am not.

Am I proud of being an Indonesian?
Yes.
We may not have the best infrastructure in the world.
We may be ashamed of our leaders and their politics.
We may take eons to construct an underground train system.
We may cringe at the locally-produced TV dramas (sinetron).
You can continue the list of things to be embarassed about.
But at the same time I can also find an equal number of things to counter that list.

To give you a perspective:
Singapore is one of the amazingly developed and managed country in the world.
Even though it may be unthinkable, I bet that you can also find Singaporeans who are not proud of Singapore and/or being a Singaporean.
Many Singaporeans migrate to UK or US to study and some choose not to return.
There are many who stay in Singapore all their lives and eventually migrate to Perth, Australia after retiring from work.

These are personal questions.
There will be people who feel they can not find in them a sense of pride of Indonesia and/or being an Indonesian.
These beliefs may be shaped by their own personal experience(s) and hence it would be unfair to judge that personal decision.

I am proud of indonesia. it is kind of destiny that i was born here. So, i cant do anything about it. but i can choose to be proud or not. Being proud of this is better than not. it give you a sense of belonging, brotherhood with other indonesians, etc.
Quote:

I'm not expert in Japan history, but I think shame is not required for those people to go out and learn things. It could be pride too, for example, if you're proud of your country, then you want to make your country even better. So you go abroad, take what's good (like better knowledge), and take it back to your home country instead of leaving the country alone & work abroad. Right? emoticon-Big Grin
Quote:

Shame was definitely the strongest driving force behind the movement at that time. Have you heard the term "Losing Face", it is still strong among the Japanese today, i could imagine even more so then...

i think you are overstretching the use of word "proud", a more appropriate word would be "love". emoticon-Blue Guy Peace
I love Indonesia and proud to become one of Indonesians emoticon-Big Grin
And I still choose to be an Indonesian instead an American or others..
Why? Perhaps because nasionalism feelings emoticon-Malu (S)
yes simply I proud to become Indonesian because this country is the only place my parents know to accept Aliens like us emoticon-Ultah
Honestly I can't find anything in this country worthy to be proud of.

On the other hand, I can easily find 1000 things that made this country unworthy to be proud of.
i not to proud to indonesian coz much politician has being llike a animal emoticon-anjing
example;corruption

but i proud a people in indonesia coz we sociality was highly level
Well, I'm not thrilled that I have no option but to reside here, in J-city, at least for the next several years but I'm fairly proud to be an Indonesian - mostly of its cultural and natural legacies. The complexity and level of artistry displayed in Nusantara traditional arts are magnificent. And next to that, the wilderness in the far east (as well as far west and north and everything in between, but especially the far east IMO), which might just reflect the country's landscape and natural wealth at its purest form, would explain best why our heroes died defending this land. H-ck, even I, a person far from patriotic ideals, would get possesive too.

"I'm an Indonesian. Oh.. you don't know where Indonesia is? Hmm.. Do you know where Bali is? No? Well, okay, it lies down low, along the equatorial line.. We have one of the richest marine biodiversity in the world, lots of attractive isles too, like this one..."

photo courtesy of Liburmulu

P-ss off Seychelles, Maldives, and Dubai, you've got nothing on us.

"...and one of the most efficient transport networks too, robust even on the world's worst traffic, developed by the country's very own forward-thinking young businessmen!"

photo courtsy of Metro TV

emoticon-Smilie ;P

Indonesians are among the most pleasant, helpful people in the world. Our hotels and airline do well even when competing on an international standard because we have a natural knack for hospitality. Yes, I see news about murder and crime but I am inclined to think that unhealthy capitalism and poverty play a huge role. Even a first-world nation like the States saw 15 mass shootings this year alone - just when many consider their socioeconomic issues fairly benign compared to ours.

There are, however, stereotypes of Indonesians which I'm not quite proud of; and they're called streotypes because they still ring true in many cases
  • Internalized racism - I've had the chance to work with foreigners as well as locals and both of them in a single setting and observed a common reluctance among locals in conveying their most honest opinions to their foreign - especially, bule/Caucasian - colleagues. It doesn't help that Indonesians aren't generally an outspoken bunch, even among one another. This often comes with a double standard held among locals: tolerating certain behaviors displayed by foreigners, but being critical when the same exact actions came from locals.
  • Anti-West - perhaps the absolute antithesis of internalized racism. Some people hold really strong prejudice towards westerners and consider them as agents of cultural/moral apocalypse in this country, delivered through capitalism, free sex, and all things maksiat.
  • Dishonesty - from corruption to holding our tongue out of courtesy and to avoid conflict, we're perhaps not as honest as we'd like ourselves to be. I wish I had not been surprised by unwritten protocols like 'uang damai', 'uang masuk', 'uang denger', and all other illicit practices I've never had any experience with before moving back here.

However, recognizing these stereotypes is one thing, treating Indonesians based on these stereotypes is another. I've seen foreigners being awfully patronizing towards their local subordinates, obviously presuming all Indonesians to be backwards and heard things like "Oh, he's pretty smart for an Indonesian". But when I have this kind of cr-p coming my way, I can be sure that what it says so much more about them than it does about us.

I wish we could be more carefree and adopt a global citizen mentality and have less of "they can do that, but we're not like them" and just do whatever we think is ethically right.
Diubah oleh boulevardier
Quote:

1. am i proud of being an Indonesian? well hell yeah!
2. dont get no 2 question at all? care to elaborate?
indonesian hah?? i am proud being surabayan emoticon-Stick Out Tongue
don't understand the second question emoticon-Hammer2

anyway, I am proud to be Indonesian, in some ways, such as the diversity and the natural & cultural richness
however, with the things going on in Indonesia, there is part of me that ashamed to be Indonesian, such as corruption
there is a pride if you've got the best world
I think it is a challenging question. If we are proud to be Indonesian and see something bad in our country, what will we do to make our country better? I am proud to be Indonesian. However, I see that Indonesia need educated human resources to explore our natural resources better. Therefore, I want to go abroad not only to study but also to see their education system. That will make me contributor not only as an expert but also as a journalist who report differences between our education system and others. In future, after graduated, I will work and write an opinion hoping government aware to my article. Thus, If you are Indonesian and not proud to be it, do something so that you are fond of Indonesia. Moreover, if you proud of this country, do something to make it better.

It is not important what this country has given to you, but what you have given to this country.
im proud , why ? ,, cause im indonesian emoticon-Big Grin
Halaman 2 dari 4

GDP Network
© 2019 KASKUS, PT Darta Media Indonesia. All rights reserved
Ikuti KASKUS di