Pusat Bantuan

Hubungi Kami

KASKUS Plus

© 2024 KASKUS, PT Darta Media Indonesia. All rights reserved

maharani251290Avatar border
TS
maharani251290
Other Ways to Say “How are You?”
Disclaimer: First of all, let me tell you that this thread was made based on my own experiences as a teacher. I can guarantee that I did not do anything like copycat and so forth.

Hello there! I’ve been teaching for about three (almost four) years at an English course in a small city in Central Java. It’s nice being a teacher since I can meet different people with their own characteristics. FYI, I do not only teach children but also adults.

As a teacher, I’ve found out that most Indonesians are familiar with “How are you? I’m fine thank you, and you?” as a way to greet someone. Actually that’s correct, but, we can use other expressions to say apa kabar through English. On the other hand, when I say, “Howdy?” or “How is it going?”, most people I meet are still confused, “What are you saying, Miss?”. I’m okay if that one is a kid. However, it is a bit irritating if an adult student cannot get my point. Well, at this point I realize that’s why they come to a course to achieve a better understanding of English.

I hope I can share something advantageous through this thread. So, here it is. If you want to greet someone formally for the very first meeting, just say “How do you do?”, and if somebody greets you that way, you can answer with the same words, How do you do?”. Furthermore, when you want to greet you friends (remember, NOT on the very first meeting), instead of saying “Hello, how are you?you can also say...
  • How are you doing?
  • How is it going?
  • How is life going?
  • How’s life?
  • How’s your day?
  • Howdy?
  • What’s up?

Then, how can we reply it? Frankly, it depends on our moods. If you have a good time, you may say...

• I’m fine/ I’m great/ I’m all right/ I’m okay/ I’m very well
  • I feel good/ I feel great
  • It’s a wonderful day
  • Wonderful/ Fabulous/ Awesome/ Amazing/ Great/ Good
  • I’m having a good time/ I’m having a great day/ I’ve got a good day
  • Never better!

However, what if you were unlucky on that day? For instance, you woke up late so you were in hurry but your car ran out of gas in the middle of a traffic jam and you brought no money at all! Would you say, “I feel good”? Well, you could do that, but it seems awkward. It’s better for you to say...

• It’s a bad day/ It’s a terrible day
• It’s not a good day/ It’s not my lucky day
• It’s a nightmare!
• Terrible/ Awful/ Bad
• I feel unwell/ I’m unwell

Meanwhile, sometimes you don’t feel good nor bad at the same time. In this case, let’s say...
• So so
• It’s just another day
• Not good but not bad

Well, I think that’s what I can say. Is there anyone of you who can add some more or revise it? I do hope it will be useful and can be applied in our daily life. Thank you very much!
tata604
tata604 memberi reputasi
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Urutan
Terbaru
Terlama
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Komunitas Pilihan