© 2024 KASKUS, PT Darta Media Indonesia. All rights reserved

TheAxis.Of.EvilAvatar border
TS
TheAxis.Of.Evil
[Kisah Marinir vs Taliban] A Hunt for a Deadly Sniper From Two Perspectives
A Hunt for a Deadly Sniper From Two Perspectives
By THOMAS GIBBONS-NEFF AND BEN ANDERSON

Quote:

During the 2010 assault on Marja in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, Cpl. Thomas Gibbons-Neff was the leader of a Marine Corps scout sniper team that came under fire from a Taliban sniper. The sniper, like others in the area, had proved surprisingly effective, and Corporal Gibbons-Neff’s team was ordered to flush him out. Ben Anderson, a journalist and filmmaker, accompanied the team on the assault. The two became friends, and the following is their joint account of the weeklong hunt for one sniper, told from their different viewpoints on the battlefield.

Thomas

I hesitate to write this because it is a war story. Maybe not a war story of the likes that is told at a Veterans of Foreign Wars post, but a war story nonetheless. War stories can be filled with bravado and some truths; they almost always make the characters seem larger than life, as if those characters had a say in shaping the story. But they don’t. I know I didn’t.

I hesitate also because I was a kid who was in situations like in the books I once read to make sense of my father’s service in Vietnam. I didn’t earn a Bronze Star. I didn’t get shot. I did my job and I did it the best I could.

So what did Tim O’Brien say about war stories? “It comes down to gut instinct. A true war story, if truly told, makes the stomach believe.”

Here it goes.

In February of 2010 I was a 22-year-old Marine corporal and leader of an eight-man scout sniper team. It was my second deployment to Afghanistan and my battalion had been ordered to assault the Taliban stronghold of Marja. Our leaders promised us a place in the annals of Marine Corps history, right next to Hue and Fallujah. We would be called Marja Marines and we would tell our grandchildren about it.

Three days into the assault I met Ben Anderson. Through the adrenaline-soaked recollections I see a patchy beard and the distinct British helmet cover. I remember thinking, as I’m sure most combatants think when they see a guy running around with a camera instead of a rifle: “Who is this crazy jerk?”

Quote:

http://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...o-perspectives

BERSAMBUNG...............
Thread Digembok
Urutan
Terbaru
Terlama
Thread Digembok
Komunitas Pilihan