tyrodinthorAvatar border
TS
tyrodinthor
Ic Ásprice Ænglisc, A-Very-Classy Old English
gow now gans? I'd like to share little bit of Old English. I planned to create this on forsex, yet something came up on the top my head and going, "EF Kaskus sie weōrðond gescrēpein se mōru" meaning "EF Kaskus is worth and fit into the root". In sense of adding more references, so like... this thread might become somewhat of information about Old English and thing yeah blud (with jafaican accent lol emoticon-Ngakak (S)). well.. I'm learning some Old English phrases, I think it sounds very classy. for you who like history, you might be interested on this. so this thread aims to share all the things about Ænglisc spræc. Let's review a bit history of Old English.

"Ænglisc spræc", or "Englisc geþeōde", or simply called: "Old English language" (literally means Bahasa Inggris Kuna) was the language of which spoken by Anglo-Saxons and Brittonic Normands in Britain on approximately 5th to 11th century. it was also spoken by Northumbrian, Wessex, and Kentish (modern-day London) Anglo-Saxons settlers by which they were part of Germanic tribes. this language is the early form of Modern English as we speak today. Old English was kind of similar to most Germanic languages as Germans or Old French, yet historians and philologists believed most Germanic language were influenced by Old Norse language during the Viking age, where we know the Normands were the Nordic branch as well. on the Sagas, as for instance Ragnar Loðbrok, was found some similarity between Old Norse and Old English such as:

(Old English = Old Norse)
- daģr (day) = dagr, comes from the name God Dagr in Norse mythology.
- þūnorr (thunder) = þórr, comes from the name God Thor.
- Wōðinns Daģr (Wednesday) = Oðínns Dagr, also comes from the name God Odin the Allfather. days on Modern English depicted the name of Norse pagan's: like Wednesday literally means "Odin's day", Tuesday "Tyr's day", Thursday "Thor's day", and Friday "Frigg's day".
- jārl (earl) = jarl.
- se cyning (the king) = þe cyníng.
- earūn/earōn (are) = er.
- hǣðen (heathen) = hyðínn.
- and so. many words I won't show, because this isn't Norse influence on English thread.

well then... although there are lots of Old Norse influence, Old English obviously was based on Germanic syntax. today, Modern English is only one that has a lot of differences grammatically on either vocabulary or tenses than any other Germanic language like German, French, or Dutch, yet Old English was really similar to the basic Germanic grammar. we all today don't find out masculine or feminine form of word on English that distinguishes among words. Old English, however, has sort of thing. and that's the characteristic of most Germanic tribes. for example: "sunne" (sun, feminine), "mōna" (moon, masculine), and of course "eōrþē" (earth, feminine). don't be confused with sort of gender, I guess Bahasa Melayu Kuna was also has gender on things like in Modern Indonesian "Bumi" is also feminine, sometimes we use "Ibu Pertiwi" or "Bumi Pertiwi" instead of saying "Motherland". so most people on the past thought that matter is living, every single thing has its own spirit (yes, it's animism heritage on languages), and the spirits are depicted as ours, have gender as well. that's okay, forget what gender form is, now I'd like to show a bit of Old English phrases and grammar.

oh I'd like to put pronunciation and transliteration of Old English before going further. you may don't know what þ ǣ ā ð ī are. here they are:

- þ = th, same as th in thank; or f like free.
- ƿ = sounded between v and w.
- ģ = almost like y.
- æ = ae; same as a in angel.
- ā, ī, ū so on = a-long, i-long, u-long.
- ð = it's quite confusing, sometimes it sounds like d in "done", sometimes sounds like ed in stunned (dəh, or təh).
- c = s-soft
like these as follows:
- þrēo is pronunced like: "threo".
- fēowor is pronunced like: "feowoə" (it's similar to British -r).
- kæþwār is pronunced like: "kaethwa".
- Æþelstan is pronunced like: "aethelstan".
- ģēce is pronunced like: "yesə".
- Wōðinns is pronunced like: "wothins".
- Wōðinns daģr is pronunced like: "wot'ns dayə", that's is why it becomes "Wednesday" in Modern English, because Wednesday is pronunced like: "we'nsdaey" in British accent.

Old English grammar is still under reconstruction, so I'd just show some common tenses. you got remember, Old English tenses isn't only timeline changes on verb, but also on subject. verb even depends on subject. for example, if we say: "I go", it also same for "they" (they go) or "you" (you go). but "she, he, it" are goes (present tense). how about in Old English? no. it's more complicated rather than Modern English. "I" may "go", but "you" aren't "go", and so all subjects. crazy right? here they are, the common and main Old English tenses:

===
subjects:
- I = Ic.
- you = þū.
- we = wē/gē.
- they = hīe.
- he = hē.
- she = hēo.
- it = hit.
objects:
- me = mē.
- you = þ.
- us = ās.
- them = hī.
- him = hinē.
- her = hirē.
- it = t.
===

e.g. verb: "æscpleģan" (to play).
1. Present Indicatives.
- Ic æscpleģa.
- þū æscpleģǣst.
- wē æscpleģāð.
- hīe æscplsģāð.
- hē æscpleģǣð.
- hēo æscpleģǣð.
- hit æscpleģǣð.
2. Past Indicatives.
- ic æscpleģe.
- þu āscpleģest.
- wē æscpleģon.
- hīe æscpleģon.
- hē āscpleģe.
- hēo āscpleģe.
- hit æscpleģe.

crazy right? there's no standard of changing verb. for example:
1. to go (gān): go (gā, gǣst, gāð), goes (gǣð), went (ēode, ēodest, ēodon), gone (gānde, ģegān).
2. to do (dōn): do (dō, dēst, dōð), does (dēð), did (dyde, dydest, dydon), done (dōnde, ģedōn).

let's forget grammar, here they are the words and phrases, coupled with pronunciation:

1. ģēce (yesə) = yes.
2. ne (nə) = no.
3. ƿēl (wvel) = well, good
4. ƿes hāl? (wves hal) = hello?
5. hū gǣþ? (hu gaeth) = how are you? (in shakespearean: how art thee?).
6. þāncie (thansiə) = thanks.
7. Ic þē þāncie (ic the thansiə) = thank you.
8. bidde (bida) = please.
9. Ic hātte Tyrōdinþórr (ic hatə tirodintho) = I'm Tyrodinthor.
10. Kaskus īs ce bētstā (kaskus issə betsta) = Kaskus is the best.
11. Kaskus nīs lȳþre (kaskus nis lifra) = Kaskus isn't bad.
Diubah oleh tyrodinthor 18-07-2015 14:20
tata604Avatar border
pakisal212Avatar border
pakisal212 dan tata604 memberi reputasi
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Urutan
Terbaru
Terlama
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Komunitas Pilihan