Tentang KASKUS

Pusat Bantuan

Hubungi Kami

KASKUS Plus

© 2024 KASKUS, PT Darta Media Indonesia. All rights reserved

stereobrainAvatar border
TS
stereobrain
The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows | Beautiful new words to describe obscure emotions
The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows
Beautiful new words to describe obscure emotions

Quote:

---

I have been noticing that the English language is inherently beautiful. A lot of obscure English words conveys beauty far exceeding its original intent and/or history. Take the word "ubiquitous" for instance, it's such a wonderful word, rolls right off the tongue—but the fact that it's synonymous to "everywhere" and that its hard to type/write makes the word rarely used in day-to-day conversations.

That's part of the reasons I love reading dictionaries, especially those thick and old ones. They provide a window to a world where elegance is displayed purely within gowns of unknown nouns and obscure verbs, and that, ladies and gentlemen, brings us to the topic I have at hand.

The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is a project by John Koenig, because apparently English does not have the sufficient words to convey expressions and feelings most people experience. One of my favourite "made-up" word by John Koenig is Sonder, which I have explained up above.

If you have a fascination towards words like I do, you'd enjoy his dictionary, here he explains many emotions and—true to the title—sorrows we often felt but couldn't describe. Ever felt like you're stuck to your own body, and you want to experience something from the eyes of others? That's called Onism.

The dictionary is suitable for midnight reading and introspective sessions, or when you want to relax with a cup of tea and have nothing to read at the moment. Perhaps you'd find a word for that nagging feeling you always wanted to tell your friends about but couldn't describe it because it felt so unnatural.

Oh, regarding sonder, I love all of you, all the specks of light and the extras sipping coffee in the background.
Have a wonderful life emoticon-Angkat Beer
tata604
tata604 memberi reputasi
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Urutan
Terbaru
Terlama
GuestAvatar border
Tulis komentar menarik atau mention replykgpt untuk ngobrol seru
Komunitas Pilihan