KASKUS

Quote:Original Posted By psiramad
^
ok sir. maksud ane adalah itu judul dari artikel isinya seputar food charity gitulah.

dimasjos' translation, "sesuatu untuk dipikirkan" is correct.
The others' translation, "makanan untuk pikiran (and similar phrases)" is also correct.

You are dealing with a pun. A word play where a word or a phrase that usually meant something is used for something else. Hence the difficulty, because translating it normally usually means losing the double meaning.

I personally would go with "makanan untuk batin" or "makanan untuk hati" given the context of food charity, but really, any of those are technically correct. Sometimes you got to pick one and accept that it's impossible to capture the word play perfectly.
OOT stuff:

Hey, pink, did you ever translate a bodice ripper novel? If you had, how did you ever get around all those euphemisms? (No, I haven't translated any, but I have read some.)
Quote:Original Posted By tonnyc
OOT stuff:

Hey, pink, did you ever translate a bodice ripper novel? If you had, how did you ever get around all those euphemisms? (No, I haven't translated any, but I have read some.)

just read the wikipedia on "euphemism"... dang... tough reading...
translating those things would be like
OOT stuff:

As a representative of Sis P1nkie, my idol, I can say that all novels she has translated from Gramedia are bodice ripper.
Btw, I've read one original version of her novels and I found that Sis P1nkie has made some scenes describing 'romance in bed' softer (or the Editor must have made it softer)

However, I cannot answer about euphemism in Sis P1nkie style.

According to my experience, I tried my best to find the similar term in Bahasa Indonesia
OOT stuff:

Quote:Original Posted By Ambrosiana

As a representative of Sis P1nkie, my idol, I can say that all novels she has translated from Gramedia are bodice ripper.
Btw, I've read one original version of her novels and I found that Sis P1nkie has made some scenes describing 'romance in bed' softer (or the Editor must have made it softer)

However, I cannot answer about euphemism in Sis P1nkie style.

According to my experience, I tried my best to find the similar term in Bahasa Indonesia

LOLOL I actually don't know what a bodice ripper is, but guessing from Ambrosiana's answer I think I know what it is.
Yes, all the novels I translated always have erotic scenes in it I know... Some were more than the others...
I usually just translated them as is (with a lot of 'ewww' in my mind and thinking about the readers' reaction) and the rest is up to the editor. If they like to *ahem* milden the stuff, they are welcome to it
I actually didn't think about it that much since I won't meet the readers anyway (and even when they meet me they won't know who am I, well, except for Ambro since he read my translated novels & know me personally -oh my Ambro, I don't think I can face you the next time we meet x___x-) but one thing that bugs me is my mom since I usually send my translated novels to her and sometimes she would read it. I just hope she will skip that part or just skim it
gan help..

bahasa inggrisnya "tambal gigi" apa ya? sesuai dengan ejaan Bhs Inggris yg baik dan benar

ama istilah crown gigi.. "tooth crowning?"
istilahnya giginya di kecilinm trus diselip gigi palsu permanen.
thx b4.
Quote:Original Posted By p1nk3d_books 
LOLOL I actually don't know what a bodice ripper is, but guessing from Ambrosiana's answer I think I know what it is.
Yes, all the novels I translated always have erotic scenes in it I know... Some were more than the others...
I usually just translated them as is (with a lot of 'ewww' in my mind and thinking about the readers' reaction) and the rest is up to the editor. If they like to *ahem* milden the stuff, they are welcome to it
I actually didn't think about it that much since I won't meet the readers anyway (and even when they meet me they won't know who am I, well, except for Ambro since he read my translated novels & know me personally -oh my Ambro, I don't think I can face you the next time we meet x___x-) but one thing that bugs me is my mom since I usually send my translated novels to her and sometimes she would read it. I just hope she will skip that part or just skim it

Nooooo....

I still love to meet you...
Even I still owe a treat for you...

I will insist to meet you when you play in Malang as usual.
Khekhekhekhek....
Quote:Original Posted By Y0unha
gan help..

bahasa inggrisnya "tambal gigi" apa ya? sesuai dengan ejaan Bhs Inggris yg baik dan benar

ama istilah crown gigi.. "tooth crowning?"
istilahnya giginya di kecilinm trus diselip gigi palsu permanen.
thx b4.

Tambal gigi = Tooth stitches

Kalo lagi banyak yang pengen ditanyakan seputar gigi, coba ngobrol sama English Forum Enthusiast yang ini. Dia mahasiswi kedokteran gigi soale
Quote:Original Posted By p1nk3d_books

I don't understand yet what was you talking 'bout.. but I wanna know : What is euphemisms ?
Quote:Original Posted By jipongakbar
I don't understand yet what was you talking 'bout.. but I wanna know : What is euphemisms ?

According to Wiki: An euphemism is a generally harmless word, name, or phrase that substitutes an offensive or suggestive one. Source

Gampangnya, dalam Bahasa Indonesia - memperhalus menyebut kata yang kasar.

Contoh pemakaian:
Quote:
She was a highclass lady of pleasure whose beauty and talents were much in demand by the well- heeled clients who patronized the Golden Fleece.

Seperti yang dibilang Tonny, memang banyak di novel roman dewasa.

According to Wiki: An euphemism is a generally harmless word, name, or phrase that substitutes an offensive or suggestive one. Source

Gampangnya, dalam Bahasa Indonesia - memperhalus menyebut kata yang kasar.

Contoh pemakaian:

Seperti yang dibilang Tonny, memang banyak di novel roman dewasa.

oohhh :
well, I understand what euphemism is
ohaha.. but I have not read adult novel
btw, If there are mistakes of my words.. please check it and tell me where the mistake is
thanks brother

Tambal gigi = Tooth stitches

Where did you get that translation? The medical term is dental filling. I never see the term tooth stitches used anywhere before.
Where did you get that translation? The medical term is dental filling. I never see the term tooth stitches used anywhere before.

Kwek!

Sorry. I read it in an article.
When I think again, the article seemed not credible either
That's why I referred Younha to Yukii (who learned about dentistry)

Younha, please use dental filling as Tonny said

Kwek!

Sorry. I read it in an article.
When I think again, the article seemed not credible either
That's why I referred Younha to Yukii (who learned about dentistry)

Younha, please use dental filling as Tonny said

What's the meaning of referred on your sentence :"That's why I referred Younha to Yukii" ?
Quote:Original Posted By jipongakbar

What's the meaning of referred on your sentence :"That's why I referred Younha to Yukii" ?

Are you familiar with the Indonesian term "referensi" which came from the English term "reference"? That's the noun. The verb is "to refer". So the sentence would be "Itu sebabnya saya mereferensikan Younha ke Yukii".

Maksudnya keluar nilai dari program itu?
Ada kok. Jangan kuatir...
Silahkan mencoba.

Btw kalau situ bukan mahasiswa jurusan Sastra Inggris.
TOEFL 400 lumayan kok.
Tapi kalau mahasiswa Sastra Inggris, Sis P1nkie pasti akan berkata: "Mohon mencari jurusan lain"
Jujur aja teman-teman sekelasku dulu jarang banget di bawah 500

[/color][/size][/FONT]

ok gan. ane udh coba TKP..tp koq ga bsa masuk..udah login di Kaskus pdhal.

gimana ya?

sorry..for out of topic.

(ask) A Simple Doctor’s Note

Excuse Om Mod, this is a repost from the other side:

One of the requirement to get a job is presenting to company a simple doctor’s note states that someone is in a good health.
Is that what we call KIR Dokter in Indonesian? I don't even know what KIR Doctor anyway. Anybody explain it to me? Is there any possibility to get Kir Doctor in English? How does it say ( A Simple Doctor’s Note) actually? Please share! Thx in advance
Are you familiar with the Indonesian term "referensi" which came from the English term "reference"? That's the noun. The verb is "to refer". So the sentence would be "Itu sebabnya saya mereferensikan Younha ke Yukii".

ouh .. yes I understand what you mean thanks gan
gan tolongin gan, ane bingung translatin nya gimana

Singapore, Jan 20 (DPA) A sex change operation spared a Thai drug dealer a caning but not six years in a Singapore jail, news reports said Friday.
Prostitute Mongkon Pusuwan, 37, was charged with drug trafficking last month, an offence carrying a caning punishment for males. The problem, according to The Straits Times, was Mongkon looked every inch like a woman.

Mongkon's passport identified her as a male. Thai law does not recognize a sex change, which Mongkon underwent 10 years ago.

A doctor in Singapore confirmed her female gender.

District Judge Bala Reddy sentenced Mongkon to the jail term after she pleaded guilty to trafficking in 1.52 gm of cocaine and 25 tablets containing 2.5 gm of ketamine.
Quote:Original Posted By raa.
gan tolongin gan, ane bingung translatin nya gimana

Singapore, Jan 20 (DPA) A sex change operation spared a Thai drug dealer a caning but not six years in a Singapore jail, news reports said Friday.
Prostitute Mongkon Pusuwan, 37, was charged with drug trafficking last month, an offence carrying a caning punishment for males. The problem, according to The Straits Times, was Mongkon looked every inch like a woman.

Mongkon's passport identified her as a male. Thai law does not recognize a sex change, which Mongkon underwent 10 years ago.

A doctor in Singapore confirmed her female gender.

District Judge Bala Reddy sentenced Mongkon to the jail term after she pleaded guilty to trafficking in 1.52 gm of cocaine and 25 tablets containing 2.5 gm of ketamine.

Sure, you can contact any of us via PM and pay us to translate the article. Many of us are professional translators and even the ones who aren't will be glad to take a sidejob.

Snark aside, look, the purpose of this thread is to help you learn English by explaining words/phrases that you do not understand and correcting mistakes.

WE ARE NOT YOUR PRIVATE AND FREE TRANSLATION SERVICE.

Translate it yourself first. And no, do not use Google Translate. We can tell. Once you have translated it, post it again here, and ask for corrections nicely, and chances are we'll help.

BUT WE ARE NOT YOUR PRIVATE AND FREE TRANSLATION SERVICE.
[color=]crossy pop up quick time !!![/color]

what does it mean?? _____